Imam Khomeini Airport is the largest Iranian airport, opened in 2004. It is the sole airport for major international flights in Iran that’s why it is located in the central part of the country, giving the passengers advantage of using other means transportation to get to other cities once they are in Iran. This airport is also relatively close to the capital, Tehran.
Prior to the establishment of IKA, every international flight went through Tehran International Airport (Mehrabad). Now, except for certain destinations, most of the international flights in the country are taking off here, at IKA.
Follow Irantourism as an Iran Travel Guide Center to get to know IKA more:
How to get to Imam Khomeini Airport?
From Tehran: there are various choices of transportation available for getting to Imam Khomeini Airport from Tehran:
- Tehran Metro: By taking Line1 of Tehran Metro you can get yourself to IKA as one of the public transport means. To do this you have to get out of the train at Shahed station, and continue your trip by taking a second train. The second train will take almost 20 minutes to get you to IKA. This is the fastest and most convenient choice among public transportation options to get to IKA. But the operating time is limited only between 6a.m to 12p.m. The trains come and go every hour in this period and the ticket price is 75.000RLS at the time of writing this article (January 2020).
- Bus: You can commute between Tehran and IKA using designated buses. These buses commute between Tehran International Airport (Mehrabad) and IKA 24/7. Along the way, they make stops at Haram Motahar (Holly Shrine) Metro Station and Azadi Square. So, it’s a cheap option for the times when Subway is not operational. These buses depart almost every hour from both ends. In Tehran International Airport (Mehrabad) these buses are located by Terminal number 4. The ticket price is about 50,000 to 100,000 RLS at the time of writing this article (January 2020).
- Shared cabs: You can get yourself to Shahed Metro station in Line 1, and from there get a Shared cab or a van to IKA. The price for these shared cabs in normal hours and weather condition is about 60.000 RLS. Note that this is a good option only if you have limited luggage and enough time left to your flight. This trip takes almost 30 to 40 minutes.
- Taxicab: If you have few luggage and people this is the best option for you. Taxi fee between IKA and Tehran costs around 750,000 to 900,000 RLS. This price might be affected depending on the time of the day, weather conditions and in the surge time. If you want to get a better bargain, you can get a Snapp, the local version of Uber.
- Rent a personal car: You can also rent a personal ride from the Europe Car office in IKA and return it in Tehran International Airport (Mehrabad) or other destinations according to your plan. They have offices in cities: Mashhad, Rasht, Tabriz, Isfahan, Shiraz.
From other cities: There are buses available from cities of Isfahan and Shiraz every day, taking you straight to Imam Khomeini Airport.
Available services at Imam Khomeini Airport (IKA)
Exchange centers and Banks: the exchange centers are available at IKA, 1 in departures area and 1 in arrivals.
There are also 4 Bank branches available in IKA. These banks are: Melli, Tejarat, Saman, Sepah. Both the exchange centers and Bank offices are open 24/7.
Hotel: Ibis 4-star hotel is located on the southern side of IKA. It is only minutes away from the Terminal and provides you with all the services that you might need. Cafe, Restaurant, and WiFi are also available.
Sim Card provider: Irancell and Hamrahe-Aval are 2 major Mobile Sim Cards Providers in Iran. They both have a booth in the arrivals area, providing you with Sim Cards and other services.
CIP area: Passengers who have to stay at the airport for a long time, are recommended to use the CIP area for waiting. Here, you will have access to free Internet and drinks and you can shop from luxurious shops available in the area. Also, you won’t have to stay in line to get your boarding pass, and your boarding will be assisted by a servant.
Cafes, Restaurants and Duty-free shops: There are a few Cafes and restaurants available in Imam Khomeini Airport. So, this is your last chance to get a bite of some decent Iranian cuisine!
Also, the duty-free shops provide you with all kinds of domestic souvenirs and handmade from all around the country. So, if you couldn’t get your hands on your favorite Persian style gifts before, there’s no need to be worried.
Which countries, Which airlines
IKA is the headquarters for most of the Iranian Airlines such as Mahan and Homa.
There are direct flights available from IKA to following destinations: England, France, Netherlands, Denmark, Italy, Serbia, Bulgaria, Romania, Germany, Ukraine, Russia, Austria, Greece, India, China, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Malaysia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Kuwait, and Iraq.